(not so) Sustainable healing


Having seen the recent finding of the overuse (or even abuse) of Calpol in the UK for treating young children, I too find myself guilty for having overindulged in it on occasions. And talking about illnesses, last year when my son started at nursery (and I joined back work) I was positive that it couldn’t get any worse. How naive of me! This year we have already played host to one infection too many and have had to deal with viral rashes, eye infections, sinusitis, Aussie flu, normal flu, high-fever, low-fever and so on. You get the idea! And looking after a poorly toddler stuck at home whilst being sick yourself for days and weeks together isn't fun, it is the definition of misery itself. I felt weak, frustrated, and even questioned our reasons for living so far away from family. 

Growing up in Delhi, I had my fair share of sore throats, viral infections and allergic reactions caused by exhaust fumes and pollution. Amongst my cousins, I was teased for being the ‘delicate darling’ - sneezing and coughing at the drop of a hat. This coupled with my love for Delhi street food meant I regularly brought bugs home. According to Amma, the best remedies for such coughs, colds, and minor illnesses are homemade. She wouldn’t tire of giving recommendations or even stirring up a magical concoction herself to comfort others. One of the concoctions she would make comprised of tea leaves, tulsi (micro basil), ginger, cardamom, and garam masala - in its perfect symphony of natural ingredients and earthy flavors, it was like therapy. And best of all, like most Indian homes, all the ingredients were to be found in the kitchen or in our small patio garden. She would also make a special runny halwa (a pudding made with semolina and gram flour) laced with ghee (clarified butter) and sugar to insulate an inflamed throat and ease coughing. On his part, Babaji would accompany me to the family homeopath who resided in a small dispensary inside our local temple. We always tried these alternatives before getting prescription medicine. Looking back, I can vouch that this model worked 8 out of 10 times, if not more.

In contrast, early on in this year with patience and energy in short supply, I relied heavily on OTC drugs, decongestant sprays, syrups, and vitamins to get through the days and nights. And I hesitated little when administering Calpol to my son, diligently keeping to the prescribed dosage on the box. While the expensive products did little to shorten the natural course of infections, I ended up with a huge stockpile of half-used medicines by my bedside. Many manufacturers made it easy of course for me to dispose-off unused medicines with warnings against using the products after just a few weeks of opening! It did help in reducing clutter but left me frustrated at my own callousness for generating so much waste. 

In hindsight, I wish I had heeded the advice of my GPs to let the illnesses run their course instead of running around pharmacies looking for a magic drug. And had managed the situation with poise, holding faith in tried and tested remedies as Amma no doubt would have. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Homeland

My tribute to Chacha

About jigsaws and tank engines...